Frequently Asked Questions
- Who may use our Document Delivery /Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service?
- How do I create an ILLiad account?
- How do I submit a request?
- How much does it cost?
- When will my items become available?
- What materials may not be requested?
- Why am I being referred to the New York State Library (NYSL) to obtain an article requested in ILLiad?
- How long are articles available in ILLiad?
- Where do I pick-up and return books and media?
- What if I lose or damage an item?
- Who can I contact for help?
Who may use our Document Delivery /Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service?
- Upstate affiliates including students, faculty, staff and voluntary faculty
How do I create an ILLiad account?
- Upstate faculty, staff and students do not need to create an account, simply log in with your Novell Network ID username and password.
- For assistance with logging in, please contact Document Delivery at 464-5116.
- To reset your Network ID password, please contact the Upstate Help Desk at 464-4115.
- Voluntary faculty may contact Document Delivery at 464-5116 and email@example.com to request an account.
How do I submit a request?
- There are few ways to request materials:
- Logon above and submit a request. You may bookmark this page (https://hsl.upstate.edu/illiad) for easier access.
- After checking to see if an article is owned by Upstate with the Citation Linker, use the “Order from another library (ILL/ILLiad)” option which will take you to ILLiad and autocomplete the request form.
- Use the “Owned by Upstate” button or link found in most databases to check for full-text availability. If not available at Upstate, use the “Order from another library (ILL/ILLiad)” option which will take you to ILLiad and autocomplete the request form.
- For assistance with using Library databases features, please contact our Reference Department at 464-7091 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much does it cost?
- Materials are provided at no cost to Upstate affiliates; the HSL pays all fees associated with obtaining requested materials.
When will my items become available?
- Articles: most will arrive within a business day but it can take up to 2-3 business days, depending on availability of materials
- Books & media: can can take up to 7 business days, depending on location of materials and shipping method
- Rush requests for patient care information are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Document Delivery Department at 464-5116 for information.
What materials may not be requested?
- Reference books
- Books on reserve at the Health Sciences Library
- Required texts
- Duplicate articles
- Entire issues of a journal
For assistance with identifying alternatives to materials unavailable via the Document Delivery/ILL service, please contact our Reference Department at 464-7091 and email@example.com.
Why am I being referred to the New York State Library (NYSL) to obtain an article requested in ILLiad?
- The New York State Library may be used by New York State employees and physicians to supplement Upstate HSL resources, including access to more than than 2,000 journals in the Elsevier Freedom Plan. Learn more about the NYSL.
- We do not deliver articles that you can access directly, including those available from the NYSL. Please contact our Library Services Desk at 464-7091 and firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with using NYSL services and resources.
How long are articles available in ILLiad?
- Articles are available in your ILLiad account for 60 days. To retain documents indefinitely please download and save them locally; articles will not be reordered.
Where do I pick up and return books and media?
- Pick up and return materials at the Library Services Desk.
- Please pick up materials promptly and return them directly to the HSL so as to accommodate other libraries’ loan periods.
- Faculty and staff are eligible for the delivery of books and media via campus mail. For more information, please contact us at 464-5116 or email@example.com.
What if I lose or damage an item?
- The borrower is responsible for lost or damaged materials and will be billed should an item need to be replaced.
Who can I contact for help?
- For questions concerning the request of materials, please contact our Document Delivery Department at firstname.lastname@example.org and 464-5116. Staff are available 7:30am - 4:00pm Monday - Friday.
- To reset your Novell Network ID password, please contact the Upstate Help Desk at 464-4115.
- For assistance with article citations and use of Library databases, please contact our Reference Department, email@example.com and 464-7091.